Recipes - Beef - Horseradish Encrusted Prime Rib Roast
- 1 bone-in prime rib roast or choice-grade standing rib roast
- ½ cup finely grated horseradish
- 2 tbsp prepared dijon mustard
- 7 finely grated large cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped thyme
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp course sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups of your choice of Smoking Chips soaked in your favorite fruit juice for about 5 minutes
Prepare the grill for indirect grilling at about 350° F. Thoroughly combine all ingredients in a bowl, with the exception of the roast and the smoking chips. Dry off the roast and place bone-side down on a board or other prep surface. Coat the top of the roast with the horseradish paste and let sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
Spread a layer of the smoking chips into your Smokerin™ smoker box. Place the smoker box directly on the cooking surface above the fire, or on top of the gas grill diffusers below the cooking surface and above the burner.
Cook over indirect heat with the grill closed for between 1½ and 2 hours, until the internal temperature reads 125° F for medium rare and the horseradish crust has browned and become crispy (you can control the degree of browning of the crust by the proximity of the roast to the fire, but keep the roast in the indirect zone at all times). Remove from the grill and let rest for 20 minutes (the internal temperature will continue to rise). Carve and serve.